Tuesday, October 11, 2011

My first interaction with the China team...

My first interaction with the China team...


This was a brief 30 minute leadership listen only call and hence not really active but I am very interested in being active participant moving forward esp. with the DEV team in China.
Time difference really works for me from US pacific timezone, Good live meeting and network connectivity on-premise and no issues communicating. Wish me good luck so that I can be successful in delivery and management. :)

Here are few learnings that I learned from my past offshore experience -
1 Connect the team more (if possible daily standup).
2 Good project management and understanding of all activities/tasks assigned to the offshore team.
3 Having said, that Offshore team being remote and distant away, would do wonders if you give them a bigger picture. Believe me, that would make the team  feel part of the bigger pool and give them a sense of ownership.
4 You may have to give away some of your time and be flexible/agile to work with a different timezone with the Offshore team.
5 You must know the powermap - Supervisors and managers who own/control the team. Trust me, they treat feedback from client/onshore team very seriously and take corrective action.
6 Understand their culture and be empathic while on call/conferences and change your behavior instead of asking them.
7 Typical work that can be executed successfully
8 If none of this work, then please pull out at the right time than later in the game and avoid heart burns :)

Cheers - Dipesh

No comments:

Post a Comment